Thursday, July 15, 2004

As if the subways weren't bad enough...

A blurb in today's New York Post announces that the MTA is now considering "worse case scenerio" additional mass transit cuts in its upcoming budget like terminating overnight transit service and increasing the Metro cards rates.

Now, I'm confused. Not only to I pay an excessive amount of rent that falls well above my financial comfort level, but now I'm looking at the possibility of no after hours transportation in New York City? The city that never sleeps? I lived in London in 1992, and having the subways shut down @ midnight was really whack and unpleasant.

So what other reasons are there for me to continue exhausting my weak income here? I'm nowhere near being a home owner, I don't own a car--never have, and at 32, I still live check-to-check. Hmmm....quality of life (at least for the average New Yorker living just above the poverty line), dismal.
I am hopeful (one has to be) that my financial crunch and worries will dissapear one fine sun-soaked day.

But I must say that the very fact that this city is even entertaining the thought of cutting even more services from tax-paying (one of the highest in the nation) New Yorkers, burns my ass and angers me to no end. This, BTW, follows a recent taxi fare hike. The nerve.

No comments: